Monday, February 13, 2006

Sceptre X20G LCD Burnout

I bought a Sceptre X20G NagaII LCD screen in August. It was a great deal; only $430, Composite video in, VGA in, DVI in, Audio hub, USB hub. It almost seemed too good to be true, and it was.

The reason why there seem to be so few bad reviews of this screen seems to be due to who it is being sold by. I bought mine from uBid, however, I noticed that it was also for sale from TigerDirect. There are several complaints on the internet that TigerDirect does not publish bad reviews for products. I know this from personal experience as I myself attempted to publish a bad review for the Sceptre X20G there.

The problems started before the screen even arrived. The first time I turned it on it would power down after a random amount of time between 5 minutes and a fraction of a second. Clearly a defective LCD screen. I had to pay shipping to send the screen back to Sceptre in California and they sent me a replacement.

The replacement was great, although I noticed that the back of the screen seemed a little hot. This new screen lasted from September 2005 until February 2006, a mere 4 months, and then it sucombed to the same problem as the original screen. Now I'm waiting for my third screen to arrive in the hope that I'll be able to make it last longer that 4 months by directing a desk fan to help dissipate the heat from the back of the screen.

My advice; if it seems too good to be true then it usually is. If I could do it all again I would have paid $200 extra and bought a 20 inch Viewsonic instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the net, very interesting.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello to you, I found your site a couple of weeks ago by searching my nickname on google, because I recently started a blog on blogspot.com. Guess what, my nickname is Ben Dash, yeah, it's not my original name, but my family name has the same pronounciation (Bendes), that's why I use it. :)

It's amazing that you are also working with computers as I see, and also doing some exercises for your body. Well, I'm in University studying informatics, and well, I sort of decided to do something to keep myself fit about 4-5 months ago.

Anyway, I like the way you write your blog, the separate places for the separate topics, it's very good, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

OK, that's enough for now, and good luck in your life,

Ben Dash
(bendash@citromail.hu)

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home