Saturday, July 30, 2005

WL-HDD 2.5

The WL-HDD is now up and running. I got a 30GB drive from Hitachi which was thinner than my existing free 4GB drive that had been gathering dust in a drawer for the past couple of years.

I'm VERY happy with the device and was even able to use it at work the other day. One of our servers needed to be backed up and it only had USB1.1 so the ability of the WL-HDD to act as a DHCP server and share itself through Samba was a lifesaver. I tested out the throughput and backed up 3.5GB of data through the WL-HDD's 802.11g WiFi connection the night before and was very happy with the throughput as it took only about 45 minutes (I wasn't timing it so YMMV, I'd say three quarters of an hour as a stab in the dark guess).

Anyway, it's a very nice device. Tiny, silent, good value for money and full of features. Where else can you get a 2.5" external hard drive with USB, 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11g?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home